Fairoaks History


The land on which Fairoaks is situated was originally known as Dolley’s Farm. It is believed that its name was changed to Fair Oaks around 1931 when flying started on a strip prepared by Louis Strange.

In 1936 the site was requisitioned by the Air Ministry. In 1937 the control tower, still used today, was constructed and the first squadron of 6 Tiger Moths arrived. Over 6,000 pilots were trained at Fairoaks during the war.

Fairoaks Aero Club undertook training from the mid 1940’s in Tiger Moths and Austers. A selection of plaques still lay within the main hanger commemorating the club’s history. It is from here that the Fairoaks Flight Centre can trace its origins.